Ir para o conteúdo principal




IDN's head office building is located at Calçada das Necessidades, within Tapada das Necessidades in an old space that was once the Royal Riding Centre and was later called the Military Riding Centre.

This building has three auditoriums, two located on the 1st floor, with a capacity for 199 people and another for 42 people. The 3rd auditorium is located on the 3rd floor and is a multi-purpose room, whose capacity is adapted to the event to be held. The Institute's cafeteria, as well as the IDN Library, is also located on this floor.


Edifico IDN - Lisboa






IDN's delegation in Porto is located in the Fort of São João Baptista da Foz, also known as Castelo da Foz. Almost all the activities of the National Defence Institute are carried out in this Delegation. In the auditorium equipped with a modern video conference system it is possible to attend seminars, conferences and courses. In addition to the broadcasts from Lisbon, there are some courses and conferences specifically developed by IDN for this Delegation, some of them in partnership with local entities.

To support the auditors and all those who need it, there is a small library, equipped with computer facilities, where the IDN Library collection can be accessed.

In addition to its training dimension, IDN hosts, throughout the year, events of a cultural nature, such as exhibitions of painting, sculpture, photography, poetry sessions, lectures and book launches.

The fort is open to the public.

Opening hours: 09h00-17h00

Closed: 25 December, 1 January and holidays.

Admission is free.

GPS coordinates: ​41.14910722493261, -8.674418339416498​ (41º 08' 56.8''N - 8º 40' 27,8'' W)

Guided tours of the complex can be scheduled.

A little history...

Strategically located at the mouth of the Douro River, the Fort of São João Baptista da Foz, due to its historical importance was classified as a Property of Public Interest by IPPAR. (Decree No. 47 984, DG, Series I, No. 233, of 6-10-1967). Commissioned to be built in 1567 by the Queen Regent, D. Catarina, to defend the mouth of the Douro, it comprises a sixteenth century fort,  whose construction is attributed to the fortification master Simão de Ruão, the first Renaissance church built in Portugal and the Palace of Dom Miguel da Silva, Bishop of Viseu, both by the architect Francesco de Cremona (1526-1547). It also contains archaeological remains of the hermitage of St. John the Baptist built at the time of the County of Portugal. In the period following the Restoration of Independence with the Portuguese Crown's plan to restructure the coastal defence and modernise the fortifications, the fort was altered by the French engineer Charles Lassart. On June 7, 1808, in protest against the Napoleonic invasions, there was the celebration of the "raising of the National Flag" in an acclamation to the Prince Regent by Sergeant Major Raimundo José Pinheiro. Its function as a military coastal defence building reached the 20th century. In 1921, the poet Florbela Espanca, lived in the fort with her husband, António José Marques Guimarães, one of the officers of the garrison.

More curiosities in the Visita Guiada (Guided Tour)/RTP Programme:



Organizational Structure